Polio is a serious, potentially life-threatening disease that could be easily prevented by vaccination.
There is often misunderstanding around polio, so make sure you and your listeners know the facts.
HELPING YOUR LISTENERS
- To have real impact, you can’t just tell your listeners about vaccination – you need to consider what could be stopping them from getting their children vaccinated, and address these barriers on your programme.
- Some listeners may be worried the polio vaccine is haram – reassure them that it has been declared halal by Islamic leaders all over the world.
- Also make it clear that the polio vaccine has NO effect on a child’s fertility, as some listeners might wrongly believe.
- To dispel these myths, you could interview experts that your listeners respect, and use language they understand.
- People in your community may not have come across polio before, so personal stories and drama could help them understand how serious it is.
- Your listeners may worry about where the vaccine has come from – you could produce a special programme following a batch of vaccine as it’s made, stored and transported.
- If vaccination services are not available in your local area, your programme could help create demand from the community and help persuade local governors to provide these.